Thursday, January 12, 2012

Community Forestry - applying it myself

In the year and a half after my return from Thailand, and after several fruitless attempts to find paid work with a forestry project - the light dawned. I would run my own project! I set out to research what woodland was for sale in my own local area. Gradually, after many visits and fieldtrips to woodland across Sussex, I worked out my criteria. My ideal wood:

  • would be less than 20 miles from home (or half an hour's drive), as I would need to reach it regularly
  • would be quiet - not under a flight path or near a main road
  • would have its own access
  • and ideally would be near water (I didn't want the responsibility for water though - or having to learn about dredging or have to worry about foolish passersby falling in and drowning.

Not three months later 15 acres at Old Copse came up for sale and in July 2009 we became the proud owners of our own our progress here:

Old Copse - the story of woodland management near Horsham 

No comments: